Narrative Reflection: The Memory of Blossoms
There are conversations that teach through instruction. And then there are those that teach through silence. Today, I had the privilege of walking beside Lord Ambassador Kinsei.
When I greeted him, I asked whether his day had been singing songs. He smiled in that thoughtful way of his, admitting that the mainland had offered little music; instead, it had been filled with the wailing, arguments, and endless noise that accompanies crowded places. Yet, now that he had returned home, he said he was greeted by beauty and grace—"art that walks."
I lowered my eyes to hide the warmth that found my cheeks. It was a generous compliment, and one I hope, one day, to deserve. When I confessed that I had never seen the mainland, he spoke instead of another shared love: music. He admitted that listening to music was one of his hidden pleasures, expressing the hope that, as my training continued, I would one day share my songs with him. Without realizing it, I found myself making a silent promise. One day, when my voice has become worthy, I shall sing for him. Not because it is expected, but because songs deserve listeners who truly hear them.
The Structure Holds
Our conversation soon turned toward the shrine of Hosokawa Matsuhime. The Lord Ambassador had come carrying a loaf of bread as an offering and invited me to accompany him. Having only visited the shrine the previous day with Okaasan, I happily accepted. As we walked the familiar paths, he asked what Okaasan had taught me there. I explained that she had spoken of the importance of these visits—that both he and the Lord Daimyo faithfully honored those who came before.
His answer lingered with me long after the words themselves had faded. He explained that these rituals preserve more than tradition; they keep the spirit whole. They ensure that the souls of one's ancestors never become restless or forgotten. To understand those who came before us is to better understand ourselves.
At the shrine, he first washed his hands beneath the cool water before tending carefully to the resting place. Fallen leaves were brushed away. Fresh bread was placed among the offerings. Only then did he kneel, bowing deeply three times before softly announcing our return:
"We have returned. You are tended. The structure holds."
There was something profoundly moving about the simplicity of it. Respect expressed not through grand words, but through consistency, daily acts, and quiet devotion. I followed his example, bowing with my thoughts turned toward every ancestor who had shaped the path before me—and toward those who might one day walk after me.
When we rose, I told him how beautiful the shrine was. He looked toward the blossoms growing behind it, noting that life is much like those flowers: beautiful, brief, blooming only for a moment before falling once more to the earth. It was a melancholy thought, yet strangely comforting.
Echoes in the Silence
As we left the shrine, he explained that he still had one more duty before the day was complete. Lord Yoshida was away, and someone needed to feed his larl and peacocks. Again, he invited me to walk beside him. The path gave me courage to ask a question that had settled quietly within me.
"If life is brief," I asked, "does it not continue as long as we are remembered?"
He nodded, answering that memory is the only true immortality. To be forgotten, he explained, is worse than death itself; forgotten spirits wander without purpose, becoming restless and destructive. His words settled deeply within me. If memory grants life, then what kind of life should one leave behind?
I answered my own question aloud: "If that is true, then one must leave something memorable. Whether good... or bad."
He offered no immediate answer. Sometimes silence agrees more deeply than words.
At Lord Yoshida's estate, I watched another side of the Ambassador. He greeted the guard with quiet familiarity, offering him a small bottle of sake before entering to care for the animals. There was no ceremony this time, only routine practiced with kindness. The great larl waited patiently for his signal before touching the meat laid before it, while the peacocks accepted pieces of bread as he spoke softly to them in gentle whispers, as though speaking to old companions. Even animals, I realized, recognize those who approach them with patience. I merely observed; there is wisdom in watching before asking. Every lesson is a gift, and gifts should never be demanded.
As we departed, Lord Ambassador finally turned to me. "You must continue your practice," he said. "How can I help?"
The question surprised me. There are so many things left to master: dance, tea service, song, conversation, storytelling, every graceful movement, and every measured word. I confessed that I hoped Okaasan would continue guiding me toward what was expected of me.
What I did not say was this: today taught me that refinement is not simply elegance. It is remembering. It is honoring. It is carrying beauty forward so that, when our own blossoms fall, something gentle remains in the hearts of those who knew us.
Perhaps that is the finest song any life can leave behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment