Saturday, April 18, 2026

The Dance Before the Dance

The Dance Before the Dance

Today reminded me that there is a vast difference between wanting to learn, and truly being ready to learn.

When I found Okaasan, I was relieved to see the color had returned to her face. She had not been feeling well over the past few days, and seeing her smile again filled me with a sense of genuine relief. I greeted her as always, with a respectful bow, and inquired after her health.

She assured me she was much improved before asking how I had spent my time. I confessed that I had passed much of the day reading, searching the archives for information regarding songs and dances. Lord Ambassador Kinsei had recently mentioned his love of music, and I found myself wondering how I might one day perform in a manner worthy of such an audience.

Could such profound things truly be learned from the pages of a book?

Okaasan smiled, explaining that dance is not something one can master through written words alone. There is no perfect guide, no single collection of movements that transforms a person into an artist. It grows. It shifts and changes alongside the person executing it.

Then, she asked a question I had not expected: "Would you like to see my last performance?"

I do not think I answered quickly enough. I simply followed.

The Phoenix Takes Flight

As we entered the Okiya, I watched her step upon the stage, and in an instant, everything changed. She was no longer simply my Okaasan; she became something else entirely.

She knelt with effortless grace, placing her fan and kagurasuzu before her with the quiet reverence one might show sacred objects. Even her opening bow felt like the genesis of a story. When she rose, it was as though a phoenix had taken flight. The fan concealed her face until only her eyes remained, mysterious and sharp behind the painted silk. Then, the bells began to sing—not loudly, not wildly, but answering movements so subtle I almost missed them.

Every rise, every step, every turn carried deliberate purpose.

Three steps forward. Three steps back. The ringing of bells, the whisper of silk, and the careful stamp of a foot that echoed more loudly than brute force ever could. I forgot I was watching a technical dance; I believed, entirely, that I was watching a narrative unfold without words.

Her fan seemed almost alive. Sometimes it concealed, sometimes it revealed, and sometimes it balanced upon her fingertips in ways that appeared to defy gravity. She turned slowly, never once losing her center, her eyes fixed with unwavering confidence upon the unseen audience before her. The bells became part of her heartbeat, the music part of her breathing. Even the smallest tilt of her head carried profound meaning.

Nothing was wasted. Nothing was accidental. Every movement had been practiced until the practice itself became invisible. That, I realized, is true mastery.

When the performance finally came to its quiet conclusion, she lowered herself once more into seiza. Laying her fan and bells gently before her, she offered one final bow. I realized I had scarcely breathed throughout the entire display.

When the silence returned, I bowed deeply. "It was beautiful, Okaasan."

Those words hardly seemed enough. I confessed that I wished, one day, to perform with even a fraction of such grace.

She smiled kindly. "And so you shall... in time."

Unseen Lines

Then, she reminded me of a reality I had nearly forgotten in my excitement: dance is not my lesson today. Today, I must continue learning conversation. Tea. Sake. The fundamental arts that come long before the stage.

I answered obediently, though inside I felt like a child trying to drink the entire ocean in a single sip. There is so much I wish to learn, so much I wish to become, and perhaps my eagerness showed more plainly than I realized.

Okaasan's expression softened. She explained that refinement is already within us; we do not become someone entirely new, we simply polish the stone that already exists. Then, she offered another crucial lesson: some arts should only be practiced once a proper contract exists. Not because they are forbidden, but because wisdom means understanding boundaries.

Only then did I realize what she truly meant. In my enthusiasm, I had already begun stepping beyond those unseen lines.

I felt a sudden warmth rise beneath the careful layers of my makeup—a mixture of embarrassment, relief, and gratitude. She had corrected me without scolding; she had guided me without diminishing me. That is the true mark of a teacher.

As I reflected upon the day, I understood the lesson I had overlooked. The dance had not been today's greatest gift. The lesson was patience.

One cannot rush refinement, nor can one skip the quiet, tedious disciplines in pursuit of the applause. Before one may dance beautifully before others, one must first learn how to simply walk with grace.

I think, perhaps, I have only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment