After yesterday's tea service, I approached Okaasan with both hope and uncertainty. I had practiced every movement, every bow, every breath, wondering if I had honored the traditions well enough. Her gentle smile eased my worries before she even spoke; she told me I had done well. Those simple words lifted a weight from my shoulders. Even more exciting, she had found a proper tea set for me to practice with. There would be one placed in the Okiya itself, allowing me to continue refining the art until every movement became second nature. Excellence, after all, is never an accident—it is practiced.
Today, however, was not meant for tea. Today, Okaasan showed me the village.
As we walked, I quietly tried to imitate her graceful steps. The gentle sway of her kimono reminded me of a mermaid's tail gliding effortlessly through water. I matched my pace to hers, observing not only the places she revealed but also the elegance with which she moved through them.
She began with the fishing village, explaining how guards watched from rafts upon the water while fishermen brought in their daily catch. Nearby were the storehouses, the animals, the fields, and the crops that sustained everyone who lived here. It was comforting to see that every person had a place and every task contributed to the whole. We passed the blacksmith, the guard posts, and gardens overflowing with flowers. Though beauty surrounded us, I never forgot her quiet reminder that guards watched both openly... and unseen. The village was peaceful because many worked tirelessly to keep it so.
One place touched me more deeply than any other: the shrine.
Following Okaasan's example, I washed my hands before entering. She bowed deeply before the resting place of the Hosokawa ancestors. When she explained that these were those who had come before us, I felt something stir within me. These were now my ancestors as well.
I asked if I might offer my own respects. She simply answered, "Hai."
Standing there, surrounded by silence and incense, I felt an unexpected sense of belonging. Okaasan reminded me that we walk upon Hosokawa land and that it is our duty to honor those whose dreams and sacrifices shaped the present. Their traditions survive because someone chooses to carry them forward. I quietly answered that the only way I knew how was to continue striving toward perfection—to become worthy of blooming.
She smiled. "And so you shall." Those words will stay with me for a long time.
Our journey continued into the Kōkyō Kenchiku. Inside I discovered the apothecary, where healing knowledge is preserved, followed by a beautiful library where learning flourishes. Every room seemed designed with purpose. Then we entered a place unlike any I had ever seen—shelves filled with oils, soaps, creams, lotions, and fragrances.
I could not hide my amazement. Okaasan explained that every woman eventually receives her own unique scent, carefully blended to complement her alone. No two are alike. The idea fascinated me; even fragrance here becomes another expression of identity.
We explored meeting halls open to every villager, magnificent kitchens rich with spices, the public tea house where I would continue learning the ceremony, elegant dining rooms, and the private audience chamber where one must remove both weapons and geta before standing before the Daimyo. Every building reflected discipline, beauty, and respect. Outside, butterflies danced among blooming flowers while koi drifted peacefully beneath the water's surface. Even the smallest details seemed carefully considered.
Finally, we reached the Onsen. It felt less like a bathhouse and more like a sanctuary. Warm pools, massage areas, quiet gardens, gentle swings, and peaceful corners invited visitors to leave behind the burdens of the day. Okaasan explained that this place existed so worries could simply melt away. Looking around, I believed her.
When the tour came to its end, she asked if I had any questions. Truthfully, my mind was overflowing. There was so much to remember, so much to learn, and yet every lesson filled me with excitement rather than fear. For now, though, everything felt wonderfully clear.
As I returned to my room that evening, I realized I was no longer simply learning the layout of a village. I was learning the heart of a family. Every path, every shrine, every flower, every careful tradition reminded me that becoming worthy is not accomplished in a single day.
It is walked one graceful step at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment