This morning, I carried fruit into the gardens once again. The foxes have begun to expect me.
On the first day, they watched from the absolute safety of the undergrowth, every muscle coiled and ready to flee. Even after I left the fruit behind, they lingered, deeply uncertain whether kindness might conceal a clever trap. I understood them perfectly. Trust is never given simply because someone asks for it; it is earned through quiet repetition. Day after day. Gesture after gesture.
Today, before I had even reached the clearing, they were already waiting—not close, never close, but watching. Hope had quietly replaced suspicion. I placed the fruit upon the grass as I always do before retreating several paces to sit beneath the shelter of a tree.
The smallest fox stepped forward first, then another. Soon they ate without panic, glancing toward me only occasionally. I could not stop myself from smiling. It felt like a small victory that belonged to all of us.
That was when I sensed him. I did not need to turn immediately; my heart had already done so. When I finally looked, there he was, walking toward me with that purposeful stride I have come to know so well. Yet, even from a distance, I noticed something else: he had slowed himself, almost as if he had been hurrying and then suddenly remembered that others were watching.
I rose and bowed deeply. "Konnichiwa, Lord Ambassador." I asked whether the path had treated him kindly.
His answer settled gently into the deepest corners of my soul.
"The path was too long to return to my home," he said. "But now that I am here, I hope I never stray far from it. And if I do... that I may always find it again."
For a moment, my fingers brushed the hidden red thread beneath my sleeve. How strange. Once, I believed home was built entirely from wood and stone. Now, I know it can beat inside another person's chest. I answered him that home is not a place one leaves behind; it is something carried within the heart, and to walk away from it is to walk away from oneself.
He listened quietly. Sometimes his silence feels far more precious than conversation.
The Weight of the Golden Chain
As we spoke, my eyes wandered briefly to the necklace resting against his chest. I had noticed it before, but today, curiosity finally overcame restraint. It suited him—simple, strong, and quiet, much like the man himself.
He caught me looking, of course. Nothing escapes his notice for very long. He spoke of mirrors, and of carrying dangerous things close in order to protect something even more precious. His words carried meanings that existed far beneath the surface, as they so often do.
Then, almost casually, he mentioned that Lady Tomoe had given him the necklace. I smiled. "It is beautiful," I told him. "But more beautiful still is what it represents."
At least, that is what I believed. A gift from Okaasan could only be a profound sign of trust. Or so I thought.
His answer completely surprised me. "It is not a gift. It is a demand."
His voice remained calm, yet beneath it, I heard something sharp—something deeply weary. He spoke of expectation, of obligation, and of emotions carefully guided toward a desired outcome.
I remained perfectly still—not because I agreed or disagreed, but because I finally understood something I had been blind to before. Not every beautiful object is freely given. Sometimes, silk binds just as firmly as iron.
I watched the guards while we spoke. To them, we remained exactly what we appeared to be: an Ambassador and a student, two people discussing a simple ornament beneath the spring sky. Only we knew the true conversation hidden beneath those ordinary words.
I answered him as softly as I dared. "A golden chain is still a chain."
The words surprised even me; perhaps they had been waiting quietly inside my heart all along. An expectation... a debt written in silk. How many lives have been entirely shaped by obligations disguised as generosity?
Yet, there was one thing of which I felt utterly certain: some parts of a person can never be possessed, no matter how cleverly others attempt to guide them. I looked toward him, only for a heartbeat.
"There are gardens," I whispered, "for which no key exists."
I hoped he understood. His heart has never belonged to obligation; it lives somewhere no command can ever reach, somewhere no expectation can claim.
The Silence That Guards
Then, I said something I had not intended to speak aloud. "Do not fear the sound of your own pulse."
The words escaped before I could weigh them, perhaps because they were simply true. He worries that his heart might betray him, that others might see through the careful masks he has worn for centuries. Yet, hearts were never meant to remain silent forever.
I wanted him to know something vital. To everyone else, he may continue being exactly what they require—the Ambassador, the Guardian, the Blade, the diplomat who never falters. But for me, he need not perform.
"I will be the silence that guards the rest."
Only after speaking did I realize the depth of what I had confessed. I had chosen him not merely with my heart, but with my soul.
There was a fleeting moment when I almost reached toward the necklace, wishing to feel its craftsmanship and understand why it carried such physical and emotional weight. But my hand never moved; discipline prevailed. Though, I suspect my tongue had already betrayed what my hands refused to reveal.
As evening settles over Sendai, I find myself thinking again about the foxes. Trust did not come because I loudly called to them. It came because I returned, again and again, without asking anything in return.
Perhaps love is not so different. It is not proven by grand declarations; it grows in quiet places, in patient moments, and in words spoken so softly that only two hearts are ever meant to hear them. Today, the foxes accepted fruit from my hands. And somewhere, without either of us saying a single word aloud, I think two hearts accepted one another a little more completely as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment