There are moments that divide a life so completely that every memory thereafter belongs to a different world. Today was one of them.
When the Lord Ambassador approached me this morning, there was no careful distance between us. There were no measured pauses, no ritual of restraint, and no hesitant glances. He came directly to my side. The guards watched. The entire village watched. For the very first time... he did not seem to care.
He looked at me with a certainty I had only glimpsed in fleeting moments before.
"Lady Mei," he said quietly, "I can no longer, in good conscience, leave you here."
Everything around us became strangely, beautifully silent—not because the world had stopped, but because my heart had. Then, he held out his hand.
It was such a simple gesture. One hand. One choice. Yet between us lay every lesson we had ever lived, every rule we had ever followed, and every boundary we had carefully respected. For weeks, we had walked beside one another without touching. His sleeve had always separated his skin from mine. Our devotion had lived strictly inside bows, careful words, and stolen glances.
Now, there was only a bare hand waiting for mine.
"I need you to trust me," he said. "We're leaving."
I looked at his hand, and then into his eyes. I saw no Ambassador. I saw no Assassin. I saw no carefully crafted mask worn for the court. I saw only the man who had become my home. Every single lesson Okaasan had ever taught me about composure completely dissolved in that single heartbeat.
I reached forward. Our fingers intertwined.
It was our very first touch of skin against skin. Warm. Certain. Real. No thunder split the heavens, and no choir of spirits sang. The world simply... became whole.
"Lead the way, Kinsei-dono," I whispered. "I am with you."
We crossed Sendai together, hand in hand. I do not remember who watched us. Perhaps everyone did; perhaps no one did. It no longer mattered. He never released my hand—not across the village, not aboard the ship, and not during the long voyage through the dark of night. It was as though, after a lifetime of rigid restraint, neither of us wished to risk believing it had all been imagined.
The Sanity of Madness
When dawn finally greeted us at Var Kor, he paused before we stepped ashore. Only then did his hand slowly slip from mine, and the sudden absence of his touch felt colder than the sea breeze.
He smiled. "We are descending into madness." Then, he laughed softly. "And yet... I have never felt more sane."
Those words have remained with me ever since. Sometimes the world mistakes pure courage for madness, perhaps because courage always asks us to abandon certainty. Before we stepped onto the docks, he looked at me once more.
"When I speak to my son of you, we will not touch. But know this. You are tethered to my soul."
I placed my hand over the hidden red thread beneath my sleeve, feeling as though the thread itself had simply become flesh.
"Then let the world call us mad," I answered. "For any sanity that demands I live without you is not truth."
It was the first time I realized that love and freedom often arrive through the exact same gate.
Sanctuary and Vows
His son welcomed us with a kindness that asked for nothing in return. Lord Hosokawa Kage bowed deeply, and his hospitality was immediate: food, fire, and shelter. There were no probing questions, only welcome. As I watched father and son stand together, I understood something about the Hosokawa that no textbook or lesson could have ever taught me. Strength, in this family, is measured not by command, but by what one chooses to protect.
Kinsei bowed before his own son—not as a father, not as a Caste Master, but simply as one man asking another for help. He spoke words that completely stole my breath.
"She needs safety. She needs a home. Because..." He paused, then looked toward me. "She is my home."
I lowered my eyes—not to hide tears, but to give silent thanks for them. There are moments when happiness becomes too sacred to witness directly. Kage did not hesitate for a single second.
"There are no conditions. No questions. Only sanctuary."
Those words wrapped around me like a warm blanket after years spent wandering through a bitter winter. For the first time since my parents were brutally taken from me, someone had spoken of my safety before speaking of my usefulness.
I quietly tended the fire while father and son spoke. The flames needed feeding, and somehow, it felt entirely right that my hands should find the hearth. Perhaps homes begin exactly that way: someone simply chooses to keep the fire alive.
Then, Kinsei spoke again, and nothing could have prepared me for the weight of his words.
"I am going to take Lady Mei as my Free Companion."
The piece of wood I had been placing upon the fire slipped from my fingers. For a moment, I forgot how to breathe entirely. Free Companion. Not a distant dream. Not a vague 'someday.' Not a promise hidden beneath clever poetry. A decision, already made. He asked his own son to witness it when the time came.
I looked toward the fire because it was the only thing keeping me upright. Then, I finally found my voice.
"To be your home... is all I have ever desired. To be your companion... is a grace I shall spend the rest of my life honoring."
Those words did not feel spoken; they felt remembered, as though my heart had always known them.
The Meaning of Home
Kage offered me a home near the camp—simple, empty, and waiting. There would be no fine silks, no luxury furniture, and no polished screens. Only walls, a roof, and safety. It sounded more beautiful than any palace I had ever read about.
Kinsei thanked his son with a profound humility I shall never forget. Then, he confessed something few men in his position ever would: "I risk everything."
He was right. He risked his hard-won reputation, his duty, his family, and perhaps even his life. Yet somehow, standing beside him, none of that frightened me. Love has never asked whether the road is safe; it only asks whether it is true.
Before long, a summons echoed from beyond the camp, and Kage was called away. Duty never waits. Kinsei stepped beside me once more, his voice dropping to a low whisper.
"Stay at my side. We will pass among Killers. The Black Larl needs no explanation."
I nodded. Words were entirely unnecessary. I already knew exactly where I belonged.
As we walked together through the formidable grounds of Var Kor, I realized something that no lesson, no formal ceremony, and no legal contract had ever managed to teach me. Home is not simply a place where someone promises to protect you. Home is where two people choose, without a single shred of hesitation, to protect one another.
Today, I took his hand. Perhaps history will remember it as foolish. Perhaps reckless. Perhaps even madness. Let them. Because I know the absolute truth: it was the sanest decision I have ever made.
No comments:
Post a Comment