Tuesday, April 21, 2026

My First Journey Beyond Sendai

There are moments that change the heart, and there are journeys that reveal where the heart has already chosen to belong. Today, for the first time in my life, I left the Isles.

The Lord Ambassador came to the Okiya carrying an invitation to a festival in Var Kor. The mainland—a place I had previously known only through stories and passing conversations. I accepted at once, though beneath my painted calm, my heart fluttered with excitement. As we began walking toward Okaasan, the guards remained behind, trusting me entirely in the Lord Ambassador's company. It was the first time I truly felt the weight of that trust.

When we had moved safely beyond listening ears, he spoke quietly. "So long as you live, you are with me. In my sleep you guide my dreams. When I wake, I still see you."

His words settled around me like the warmth of spring after a bitter winter. Without thinking, my fingers brushed the hidden pocket of my sleeve where the red thread rested safely against my skin. Then we are never truly apart. I confessed that I searched for his shadow in every doorway, listening for the cadence of his footsteps between my songs. He answered only with silence. Sometimes silence carries the greatest truths.

Before Okaasan, we returned seamlessly to our proper places. He was once more the Ambassador; I became once again the eager student. The world saw only what it was meant to see.

Okaasan accepted the invitation gladly. Before we departed, she stepped close to me and adjusted the angle of my kanzashi, gently pushing one ornament into place. "There. You've done well." Those simple words meant more than she may ever know. Even as we prepared to travel, she was still teaching me, refining me, helping the flower bloom.

The Colors of Var Kor

The journey across the water felt like stepping into an entirely different life. As the mainland slowly rose before us, I wondered how much of the stories I had heard would prove true. I breathed deeply, hoping the air itself might reveal its secrets. Instead, it smelled simply like another place filled with people carrying hopes of their own.

Var Kor overwhelmed every sense. The festival burst with vibrant colors, loud voices, persistent merchants, music, and laughter. Everywhere I looked, something new competed for my attention. It was beautiful, chaotic, and loud—nothing like the quiet grace of Sendai.

For a brief moment, I felt my thoughts scatter in every direction. Then, I quietly reminded myself: This is simply another stage. The stone is different, the song is louder, but the silence beneath it still belongs to me. That single thought steadied my heart.

We wandered among stalls and games while the Lord Ambassador examined everything with the dual curiosity of both traveler and diplomat. At one booth, he paused before an array of flowers, looking first at the blossoms and then at Okaasan and me. "The flowers pale in comparison to you both."

I lowered my eyes before anyone could see how warmly those words settled within me. Compliments are dangerous things; one must never become intoxicated by them. Yet, some are too sincere not to treasure. Okaasan declined a flower, preferring beauty where it naturally bloomed, an answer I deeply admired. The flowers here were fundamentally unlike those of Sendai.

"They bloom differently," I found myself saying. "They do not wait for permission. They simply bloom against the stone." Perhaps there was a lesson hidden there as well.

Strangers and Shadows

Not long afterward, we encountered travelers from the North—a Jarl and the young woman beside him. Everything about them fascinated me. The woman remained close to him, touching the steel collar around her neck with unmistakable pride. He protected her openly; she looked upon him without a shred of fear. Their customs differed greatly from ours, yet there was no judgment within me, only curiosity. The world is far larger than I once believed.

The Lord Ambassador introduced himself with practiced ease, moving effortlessly between languages as naturally as water finding its course. Watching him work reminded me why he carries his title. He spoke of trade, of papayas, silver, medicine, forests, and rivers—of endless possibilities. While politics unfolded around me, I remained quietly observant. That, too, is part of my education. A Contract Woman learns not only how to speak; she learns when silence gathers the greater wisdom.

Afterward, we wandered further through the festival. There were games, apple bobbing, target shooting, lanterns, and music. Amid so much movement, the Lord Ambassador's playful expression at one of the games startled a quiet laugh from me—a genuine one, hidden politely behind my fan.

"You seem quite confident in your aim," I teased.

"Anything in the middle would be far too ordinary," he replied.

For just a heartbeat, he seemed less like the Ambassador, less like a shadow, and simply... a man enjoying a festival. I think that may have been my favorite moment of the entire journey.

Before we departed, the Lord Ambassador stopped at a smithy to leave a handwritten note beneath two beautifully crafted katana. I asked no questions; some things announce themselves simply through the care with which they are executed.

What Home Truly Is

As we prepared to return, he noticed Okaasan's growing weariness. Without hesitation, he guided us back to the ship, helping her aboard with quiet gentleness and preparing food for her during the journey. When we returned to Sendai, he offered me his hand as I stepped from the boat. I thanked him quietly, only then realizing how deeply the day had settled within me.

The mainland had been everything I expected, and nothing I expected. It was louder, brighter, and busier, filled with fascinating people and unfamiliar customs. Yet, as beautiful as it was, I found myself longing for home before the journey had even ended.

Perhaps that surprised me most. Not because the mainland disappointed me, but because I finally understood what home truly is.

Home is not the quiet gardens, the tea houses, or even the cherry blossoms dancing upon the wind.

Home is walking three graceful steps behind Okaasan. Home is watching the Lord Ambassador navigate a world that never quite understands him. Home is the hidden red thread resting safely beneath my sleeve.

As I excused myself to rest that evening, my body was tired, my mind overflowing, and my heart wonderfully full. The mainland had shown me many beautiful things, but it had also revealed something I had not known before. One may travel across oceans, only to discover that the most precious place one carries was never left behind at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment