There is a strange, profound gift that comes from longing: it teaches patience.
Today, I saw him long before he ever reached me. Or perhaps, more truly, I simply felt him. There is a certain, unmistakable stillness that settles over the world whenever he draws near, as though the wind itself pauses to watch him arrive.
For the briefest of moments, every rigorous lesson Okaasan has ever given me utterly vanished. I wanted to run to him. I wanted to forget the painted smile, the measured steps, and the reality that we were surrounded by guards, sailors, and curious eyes.
Instead, I bowed. He returned the gesture with the same quiet dignity that has become so intrinsically his.
I could not resist teasing him lightly. "You seem to be in quite a hurry, Lord Ambassador."
His answer stole every clever reply I had spent the morning preparing.
"The river pulls at me," he said softly. "All night I spent apart from watching the star with the greatest gravity."
I felt an immediate warmth bloom beneath the white powder upon my cheeks. Sometimes I wonder if he truly realizes what his words do to me. Sometimes, I think he knows perfectly well.
I stepped closer without thinking—only a single step, just enough to feel the familiar warmth that always seems to radiate from him. Realizing the vulnerability of my movement, I quickly turned and pointed toward the open water, pretending that the tide had been my focus all along. The performance saved us, though only just.
I wondered aloud whether his nights were truly lonely, murmuring that surely someone visited him in his dreams. He looked at me with a tenderness that required no spoken answer.
An Intention to Build
I asked whether his recent journeys had brought him the understanding he sought. His answer surprised me; he had found someone in Selnar—a scribe. A woman who, in his words, helped shadows find the light. He expressed hope that she might help turn his grand vision into a tangible reality.
I realized then that every journey he makes carries a purpose far greater than I am often permitted to see. He does not simply travel; he gathers the scattered pieces of the future.
I admitted that such work sounded incredibly complicated—fraught with intricate agreements, deep understanding, and careful thought. Nothing truly worthwhile is ever simple. Then, I asked about the dream he had mentioned.
He looked directly into my eyes, and only two words escaped his lips: "A certainty."
Not a hope. Not a wish. Not a mere possibility. A certainty.
In that exact instant, I understood. His future was no longer something he merely imagined; it had become something he actively intended to build. He spoke quietly of an upcoming opportunity—a chance to earn substantial coin, enough to help make that certainty possible.
I expected myself to feel a flicker of fear at the mention of his dangerous work. Instead, I found only a deep curiosity. How would he achieve it? What risks would he face? Yet beneath every burning question rested something unyielding: complete, absolute trust.
He later confessed that most people grow anxious whenever money and danger are spoken of in the same breath; they fear what a man might become in the pursuit of them. But I have never feared what he might become. I have only ever admired who he already is. His honor has never asked for my faith; it earned it.
The Heartbeat of Selnar
A messenger arrived, and the Lord Ambassador carefully penned a letter before handing it over. I paid the messenger almost no attention. At first, I wondered whether that detached indifference made me seem prideful, but then I recalled Okaasan's words: a Contract Woman is already a gift. One does not chase attention; one simply receives those who approach with dignity. I am still learning that lesson, and it does not always come naturally to my eager spirit.
Soon afterward, we boarded the ship once more. The sea stretched endlessly around us, carrying us toward Selnar. As always, when the time came to disembark, he helped me descend from the vessel without allowing his skin to touch mine. His hand remained safely hidden within his sleeve. Such a tiny precaution, yet such an enormous act of profound respect. There are moments when love is loud; ours seems determined to speak only in whispers.
Selnar welcomed us with unfamiliar shores and unfamiliar air. Every port possesses its own distinct heartbeat. Var Kor is restless and chaotic; Port Talis is thoughtful and reserved; but Selnar... Selnar feels as though every cobblestone street hides a masterpiece waiting to be written.
The Discipline of the Blade
Upon reaching the shore, the Lord Ambassador performed the ritual I have come to recognize so well. His swords were drawn, meticulously inspected, and returned to their sheaths. Only now do I fully understand that this ritual is not for the benefit of the blades; it is for the man who carries them. It is a reminder, a physical discipline, and a quiet promise that they shall only ever leave their scabbards with absolute purpose.
As he adjusted the various tools hidden within his obi—the fan, grappling hooks, lock picks, medicines, and countless small necessities—I found myself watching him much longer than I should have. I was fascinated not by the weapons themselves, but by the fact that every single item told another story about the multifaceted man who bore them.
Guardian. Diplomat. Assassin. Protector. Builder. Dreamer. Each distinct role rested peacefully beside the others.
He noticed my staring, of course. I quickly lowered my gaze before my thoughts could betray me completely. Some habits are proving entirely impossible to hide. Perhaps that is not altogether a bad thing.
Tonight, as I write these words beneath the quiet, flickering light of a lantern, I find myself contemplating the vast distance between dreams and certainty. Dreams ask us to hope, but certainty asks us to act. I believe that is precisely where the Lord Ambassador stands now. And if he is walking deliberately toward certainty, then I shall continue walking beside him.
One measured, graceful step at a time. Just as Okaasan has taught me; just as my heart has already chosen.
No comments:
Post a Comment