Walking out, he saw the crane and noted its direction and stance and his heart knew that he must protect that bird with everything he was and had always been. When he gathered the crane into his fingers, he did so gently, as if he was touching something sacred. When he opened the letter, he could see the imprint of his erased name still on the paper and he traced it with his pinkie finger. She had spoken his name in her mind enough to write it. He smiled at first and then he read the rest of the letter and that smile faded. He sat in silence for a moment after doing so. His beloved felt that same understanding he had. He looked at his pinkie finger and wondered if his thoughts were traveling from him to her along that silken cord that was tethered to his heart. No, not quite, she was just his...she was his in a way no one else could be because she was perceptive at her core. He loved her now in a way that he had loved no other and felt a protectiveness that was a fierce force. He would add the crane to the hidden pocket in his obi to snuggle next to the butterfly before he would create a letter.
Mei, my tender bird, I hear your call. The song is one that I too sing. The fox makes a sheltered burrow that muffles sound. Both things are true at the same time. I will keep you safe. In the silence, we will hear each other better. I saw you touch the kanzashi yesterday and I felt that touch upon my hand. Your Kinsei... and only yours.He folded the paper up into the shape of a fox and dropped it through the side of the okiya where it would land next to her pillow.
The paper fox landed with a sound no louder than a sigh, settling against the silk of her pillow just as the moonlight shifted across the floor. To anyone else, it was a mere scrap of paper; to Mei, it was a heartbeat reclaimed from the silence. She feels the soft weight near her cheek and stirs, her hand moving instinctively to cradle the paper form. In the darkness, her fingers trace the sharp ears and the clever tail of the fox. The very shape of it speaks of his protection: the clever, watchful creature that thrives in the shadows where others get lost. As she unfolds it, the scent of ink, rain, and the faint metallic tang of the mainland—rises from the creases. Reading his words, the tightness in her chest finally begins to unravel. “Both things are true at the same time.” It was the paradox of their lives: the louder the world became, the more they had to retreat into the burrow of their shared silence. She presses the letter to her lips, closing her eyes. She can almost feel the phantom warmth of his pinkie finger tracing her name through the paper, a tether more real than the stone walls of the Okiya. The fox would find its place in the sleeves of her Kimono. Wasn't it her own Okaasan that spoke of the many secrets and items these sleeves could hold??
A Guardian, A Promise, and the Quiet Strength of Small Things
There are conversations that alter the course of a life without anyone ever raising their voice. Today, I stood before the Lord Daimyo. It should have frightened me. Instead, I found only peace.
The journey began simply enough as the Lord Ambassador and I crossed the waters together once more. As we stepped ashore, I reached out lightly to touch his sleeve while descending the gangplank. To anyone watching, it was an ordinary gesture—a student merely seeking steady footing. Only I knew the deeper truth: his presence had already become the anchor where I found my balance.
As we walked, I watched him perform another of those small rituals that have become so familiar to me, checking his blades with practiced care before returning them to their sheaths. His movements were deliberate, precise, and strangely comforting. It reminded me that discipline, in its purest form, is simply another expression of love.
Soon, we entered the Daimyo's residence. The Lord Ambassador greeted his uncle warmly, lightheartedly commenting on a newly erected statue nearby. The Lord Daimyo appraised it for only a heartbeat before dryly declaring it so terrible it might one day serve better as a battering ram than as art. I nearly smiled. Even the greatest of men are permitted moments of humor.
Then, his expression grew serious. He had read the Lord Ambassador’s letter, and he had reached a decision.
The Decree of Guardianship
He spoke the word that caused my heart to stop: Guardianship.
Until now, it had been only a hope quietly whispered beneath cherry blossoms and sheltered beneath umbrellas. Now, it existed aloud in the waking world. The Lord Daimyo explained that authority over my person would one day formally pass from him to the Lord Ambassador.
I lowered my head, hiding the tears that threatened to gather. For so long, I had carried the raw, quiet terror of belonging to no one. Now, I found myself welcomed into a family that chose me willingly.
There was, however, one explicit condition. There would be no contract yet—not until after my mizuage, and not until my training was entirely complete. His words did not feel like a denial; they felt like a profound layer of protection. He wished for me to become a true Contract Woman first, earning the title through rigorous discipline rather than affection alone.
I understood immediately. Flowers bloom only when their proper season arrives, not a moment before. I promised him that I would faithfully complete every lesson Okaasan placed before me, ensuring that when my day finally came, I would bring honor—not a burden—to the one who had chosen to become my guardian.
When the Lord Ambassador accepted these conditions without a shred of hesitation, a deep stillness settled within me. A love that refuses to rush is perhaps the safest kind of all.
The Power Within the Quiet
The conversation eventually drifted toward tomorrow's journey. We are to travel to the mainland once again to study its laws and customs. Books, I admitted with a quiet smile, could wait for a single day; some lessons simply cannot be captured upon paper.
Then, the Lord Daimyo reminded us that tradition must still be rigorously respected. There would still be an auction. There would still be bids, and there would still be formal ceremony. For a fleeting heartbeat, I felt a shadow of the old fear return—the terrifying vulnerability of being viewed as an object. Then, I looked toward the Lord Ambassador.
No. Not this time. Tradition no longer felt like a prison; it had become a bridge. The Lord Daimyo smiled in that knowing way of his, as though the gods themselves had already cast their vote.
His expression shifted once more, offering a stern warning regarding the mainland: I must remain close to the Lord Ambassador. Very close. His words carried far more urgency than mere formality, and I answered that I intended to remain as close as his own shadow. It was the truest thing I could have possibly said.
During our conversation, the Lord Ambassador reached toward a tiny creature resting peacefully upon the Lord Daimyo's shoulder. It was a little gianni—the sole survivor of its litter, hand-fed, fiercely protected, and only just beginning to open its eyes to the vast world. Watching that tiny creature purr beneath such gentle fingers, I felt an unexpected ache within my chest.
How different was I, truly, from that fragile little life? Once frightened, once entirely uncertain, and now carried carefully by hands that refused to let me fall.
The Lord Daimyo looked down at the kitten before quietly saying something I shall treasure for the rest of my days:
"That which is small is often at risk. But with time and care, all will be well. What is more often overlooked than that which is small and quiet? But therein... is a power unto itself."
Content Within the Shadow
For so long, I believed that silence was synonymous with weakness. Today, I learned that quiet things often endure the longest.
When the Lord Daimyo excused himself to find Okaasan, the courtyard became beautifully still. Only the Lord Ambassador and I remained. The physical distance between us felt both immeasurably vast and wonderfully small.
Tomorrow, we travel again. Storms may come, and danger surely waits beyond the safety of the Isles. Yet, I found myself telling him something that surprised even me. For the first time in my life, I no longer wished for the blinding sunlight. I found myself entirely content within the shadow—not because the darkness itself had become beautiful, but because I finally knew exactly who walked beside me within it.
He answered with the gentlest promise imaginable, murmuring that he did not fear the rain, so long as he knew he would come home in the end.
As I returned to the Okiya that evening, I thought again of the tiny gianni sleeping peacefully against the Daimyo's shoulder. Small. Quiet. Protected. Loved. Perhaps we all begin our true lives that way—eyes tightly closed, utterly unaware of the grand world waiting just beyond the threshold. Then, little by little, someone teaches us that opening our eyes is not something to fear.
Tonight, I think mine opened just a little wider.
No comments:
Post a Comment